- Principal Investigator (PI) is a Banner University Medical Group (BUMG) faculty physician (MD, DO, MBBS) and holds a University of Arizona faculty title; and
- Research involves one or more BH resources:
- Research involves a select site (BUMC-T, BUMC-South, BUMC-P, or BH clinics)
- Potential study subjects have or had a treating relationship with BH
- Data is being collected on BH patients
- Biological samples are being collected on BH patients
Research studies that do not meet these two criteria are known as “non-covered studies”. These are studies conducted by a PI who is not a BUMG faculty physician. Please contact our office with questions.
CERNER TRAINING & ACCESS
CERNER is the electronic health records (EHR) system used by Banner Health. Research staff must receive training to obtain access.
- Contact Banner Learning Center to schedule a time for training.
- UA employees should select the "External Learners (Non-Employed)" link.
- This is a 3-hour in person meeting specific for research staff in Tucson.
- After training has been completed, please contact Laura Wilkes at (602) 839-3266 with the following information:
- Laura will work to get the user account set up with the Cerner team.
- Cerner access will expire one-year after it is granted, please contact Laura Wilkes to renew.
If you have questions, please contact Laura Wilkes at (602) 839-3266.
Creating a new MRN in Cerner
To have a BUMC MRN created for your research subjects who do not have a BUMC medical record, please contact the phone numbers below.
- Banner - University Medical Center Tucson: (520) 694-1480
- Banner - University Medical Center South: (520) 874-8100
- Banner - University Medical Center Phoenix: (602) 839-6600
The information needed to create an MRN is: the subject’s name, SSN, date of birth, and sex. All information provided must be legal and valid, and photo identification may be requested at check-in to the procedure. We recommend that the subject’s phone number be included in the record in case of appointment changes or reminders, but if the subject does not want to provide his or her contact information, you may want to consider providing your work phone number so that you are made aware of changes and can contact the subject accordingly.
CERNER ACCESS FOR STUDY MONITORS
- Cerner access for external monitors should be made no less than 14 days in advance of their scheduled visit.
- Provisions can also be made for an unscheduled urgent monitor visit which will be processed in 24 hours.
- To request access please complete the two forms: Monitor Request Form (complete all information in form) & Computer Access Request (CAR) Form
- Be sure to select the "Type of data requested" when completing the Monitor Request Form.
- Have your supervisor complete the signature line at the bottom of the CAR Form.
- For monitors who have previously had access granted, they will only need their access reactivated for the dates that they will be on site.
- Send the 2 completed forms via encrypted email to Ellisha Flores at Ellisha.Flores@bannerhealth.com. Emails should be encrypted as the Monitor Request Form includes Protected Health Information (PHI).
If you have any additional questions, please call the BUMC Help Desk phone number: (520) 694-4357 (also located at the top of the CARS form).
ADDITIONAL CERNER RESOURCES
Banner Cerner Help: Contact the Banner IT service desk at (520) 694-HELP (4357; Tucson) or (602) 747-4444 (Phoenix). Select Option 6 for assistance with Multi-Factor Authentication.
Cerner User Access or Training: Contact Laura Wilkes at (602)839-3266.
CLICK Clinical Trial Management System (CTMS) STUDY SET-UP (non-cancer studies only)
Only studies using Banner services and/or EHR need to be entered into CLICK. Studies that use only the BUMC Investigational Pharmacy do not have to be entered, as the research pharmacy billing remains outside of the Cerner billing module.
UAHS Research Administration will build the basic shell in CLICK and will upload the study protocol and final Coverage Analysis (CA) document. Once the clinical study agreement has been fully executed, UAHS Research Administration will send an email to the PI & study team with a .PDF of the fully executed agreement/budget and approved CA. Banner Research Finance will be copied on this email, and this will be their prompt to finalize the study calendar using the approved CA.
- Click - Research Study Coordinator Guide
- Click - Interim Process (Use ONLY if calendar has not been built)
Please log into CLICK to ensure that all of your current studies are entered. Study subjects who have BUMC MRNs must be linked to the appropriate study by a member of your research team. If your subject does not have an MRN, contact BHRIFinance@bannerhealth.com.
If you find that your study has not been set up in CLICK, please contact UAHS Research Administration or Banner Research Finance. Please be sure to reference the approval email you have received from UAHS Research Administration.
CLICK CTMS Training & General Questions
Contact the Barbra Summers at (602) 839-6026.