All submissions involving patients, facilities, services, health records, or resources of a clinical provider (e.g., Banner Health University Medical Center and Dignity Health) must be submitted via the online Research Intake Form (RIF) prior to submission to the University of Arizona Institutional Review Board (IRB).
For information regarding additional approvals that may be required prior to IRB submission, please review the links below:
UA Radiation Safety Review Committee
Required for all protocols that involve exposing individuals to ionizing and nonionizing radiation require UA Radiation Safety Committee review. Examples include: x-ray, MRI, PET, CT, lasers, nuclear medicine, and radiation therapy (e.g., radiation oncology studies).
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there training provided for the RIF? Who should attend?
Yes, upon request UAHS Research Administration is happy to provide individual training and support with the RIF. Please email CRC@email.arizona.edu or call 626-7114 to schedule a training.
What documents are required for your project submission?
|Externally Funded||Internally Funded||Grants||Retrospective Chart Reviews|
|Contract Template (draft)||X|
|Budget Template (sponsor)||X|
|Protocol or Grant||X||X||X|
|Informed Consent Form(s)||X||X||X|
|Schedule of Events/Study Schema||X||X||X|
|Coverage Analysis Review Memo||X||X||X|
|IRB Form: F200 or F204||X||X||X|
|IRB Form: F107||X||X||X||X|
|IRB Form: F203||X|
Can I share the RIF application with others?
Yes, you can sare the RIF application with other memebers of the study team.
Please note: you can only share a RIF application while the application is in process. Once you've submitted the application, you can no longer share it with others.
- Locate the application you would like to share with others on your RIF dashboard and then select the "Share" link. (This is located after the Status Log on the application bar.)
- Select the "Share Application" (top right corner of the application) button.
- Select the Pencil button located to the right of the "Invite Applicant(s)".
- Enter each person's full name with whom you would like to share the RIF Application in the text box. Once the name appears, select the name to add that person to the list of people with whom you want to share the RIF Application.
- Once you've added all the people with whom you would like to share the RIF, select the "I've finished adding people" button. Do not select the "Close" button.
- Select the "Done Sharing Application" button. Do not select the "Close" button.
- You should see all the names of the people with whom you've shared the RIF Application appear on the list. If not, select the "Share Application" button in the top right corner of your screen again and repeat steps 3 - 6.
- When finished sharing the application, return to your RIF dashboard.
Will Contract amendments be submitted to the RIF?
Yes, a new Research Intake Form for Amendments is now available for the following documents:
- Protocol Amendments
- Contract (CTA) Agreements
- Budget Amendments
- Revised Consent Forms
If your RIF Amendment application involves a CTA Amendment, UAHS Research Administration will forward your CTA Amendment to Contract & Research Suppor Program (CRSP) and you will no longer need to email the CTA Amendment directly to CRSP.
If a Protocol Amendment affects the Schedule of Events (SOE), a revised SOE will also need to be uploaded to the RIF Amendment application, so that the Coverage Analysis (CA) and Budget can be reviewed and updated for billing compliance.
Contract and Budget Amendments should no longer be emailed directly to CRSP, but will be forwarded by UAHS Research Administration to CRSP through the RIF.
Can I submit my Clinical Trial Agreement (CTA) to the RIF?
Yes, UAHS Research Administration will route the agreement to CRSP after feasibility approval and monitor CTA negotiations. Contact CRC@email.arizona.edu with questions about the clinical trial agreement process.
I work in another College outside UAHS. Is the RIF for me?
Yes, the RIF must be completed for all research utilizing any data, patients, employees, services, or other resources of a clinical provider including Banner Health and Dignity Health.
Does the research team submit directly to the IRB, Institutional Biosafety Review Committee, and/or Radiation Safety Review Committee?
No, you should submit directly to these committees (links are provided above).
What happens once my project is submitted to the RIF?
Below is a brief outline the UAHS process. Please feel free to contact us at any time if you are ever have any questions regarding your research project (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Application submission and uploaded documents are reviewed for completeness.
- Project is reviewed for feasibility by Banner Healthcare and UAHS Clinical Research Operations
- Feasibility is approved by both partners.
- Your project can now be submitted to the IRB.
- Contract is sent to CRSP for negotiations.
- CA development and submission to medical partner for approval.
- CA receives approval, budget development begins.
- Budget and payment terms are negotiated.
- Final budget & payment terms are sent to CRSP for inclusion into contract.
- Contract negotiations finalized.
- Contract routed for signatures.
- Contract finalized and fully executed.
- UAHS Research Administration will send a final packet to the PI & study team including the final contract, budget, and CA. Banner Finance will build the study calendar into the Click CTMS (Clinical Trial Management System).
How do we track the progress of our research project?
The RIF has a "Status Log" button that will provide a progress overview during the feasibility review process or contact our office at email@example.com. Contact the IRB directly with any questions about the approval status, as they can provide the most complete and accurate information.